Who would have thought you could reverse the Distribution process? Allow me to clarify….
What I’m talking about here is ‘backing into’ your film’s distribution. Meaning, start with the end in mind and then work backwards until you get to the script, and THEN start writing. How many screenwriters out there actually do this? My guess is not many….but I think it’s the key to actually making a film that is distributable.
So what are some things you can do to practice “Distribution In Reverse” as I call it? Here’s a short list:
• Get in touch with the market. Really take an honest look at what types of movies are getting made today, at what budget levels, and with what cast. Don’t reinvent the wheel! Take what’s working and put your own unique and creative spin on things.
• Package your film with cast and/or a director that mean something in the marketplace (it’s a good insurance policy)
• Take advantage of international pre-sales and co-production deals when you can. These are essentially distribution deals BEFORE you’ve even made your film!
• Start building buzz for your film from the wee stages of Production. This means website, blog, social media platforms, video teasers…the works! Engaging marketing partners and your audience too. By doing all these things you’re building up equity in your film that you can later leverage to get distribution deals.
• When in Post get all your deliverables together – you want to make it as easy as possible for a distributor to do business with you.
That’s just a short list I know…. but I’d love to hear your thoughts too. How can you ‘insure’ your film for distribution? What things can you be doing NOW that will make it easier for you to get distribution once your film is completed?
Check it out and let me know what you think! Here’s the exact URL if you’re interested: